Monday, March 21, 2011

My Bargain of the Week

My sister-in-law always posts a bargain of the week. Being a true bargain shopper (she would totally take the gold in Olympics) this is a pretty easy post for her. Me, I'm more of a "I'll buy it when I need it" sort of shopper, so I don't get in on this very often.

But this week - I have a post!

Moving from a 4 bedroom 2 bath house to a 3 bedroom 1 bath house has not been as difficult as imagined. The biggest problem - the bathroom. In SD, we had a tiny bathroom with the tub tucked under the stairs that was the "kids" bathroom and held all their things. Our "main" bathroom upstairs was huge by bathroom standards, as it was actually a converted bedroom with the walk-up attic door.

The bathroom here is more of a "oh yeah, we need a bathroom" tack on, slightly smaller than normal size. The biggest issue - the sink - not even a pedastal, but just one that hooks to the wall and tucked in a little corner with a shower wall not 2 feet behind it, there is NO counter space.

The linen closet holds about 8 towels, and a stack of hand towels and washcloths. Then there is a little cabinet area for toothbrushes and such.

However, this bathroom also has walk-up attic access, and some smart person built shelves in there. So we also bought an over-the-door pantry shelf unit and now most of our bathroom supplies are tucked in the attic stairs. It doesn't change the fact that we had no space for toothbrushes, combs, mousse, make-up, shaving supplies (see Mr. Curly's new hobby), etc.

So after this long explanation - our bargain of the week:









We found this fantastic old medicine cabinet at the Habitat for Humanity ReStore.
I know to most it's an old piece of junk. But seriously - $5!!! $5 for a medicine cabinet that totally fits my decorating style, the age of our house, and our bathroom and budget needs.
Much better than the $70 MDF ones we were finding at Walmart.
Once it's actually up, I'll post pictures of the bathroom (which needs painted as well) - but I was too excited not to share!
For more great bargains of the week and other money-saving tips, visit Life With Mrs. B.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This will actually look great in your house. Can't wait to see it on the wall.

Mom

Rachel said...

oh my goodness--I love that! What a fun find! Don't you love when you can find something you need/have really wanted for so super cheap? Good find!