Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Monday Monday....

As the Mamas and the Papas sang "Monday Monday, so good to me...."

The past few Mondays have been pretty spectacular.  In fact, yesterday morning I was even out of bed and running by 6:25 a.m.- OUTSIDE!!

As we approach summer, I've been re-organizing our daily routine, trying to add in some things that will help when school starts next year (like getting dressed, doing hair and brushing teeth IMMEDIATELY after breakfast, not just right before we have to go somewhere!), and add some character building things (after teeth, do the daily cleaning before we start to play).

One thing that has happened these past few Mondays to make it so good is meal prepping.  Now, when I go to the grocery on Monday mornings, I always have a list with at least 4 meals in mind for the next week. 
I've spent the past two Monday afternoon quiet times making treats to last the whole week as snacks, prepping Monday supper, and any other meals I could, then cleaning up the kitchen.

Example: Yesterday, after school time, I cleaned up the kitchen while the bread I had mixed up that morning was baking.  Then I made Scooby-Doo snacks (Kellogg's Scooby-Doo cereal with marshmallows and chocolate chips, basically rice krispies), mixed up another loaf of bread (we're trying to eat only homemade breads for the next few weeks), put together a lasagna for today's supper, and pulled meat out of the freezer and put it in the fridge for the meals for Wednesday and Thursday.

For some reason, spending that hour in the kitchen helps me feel much more ready for the rest of the week.  Food is ready.  So today when the boys have quiet time, I can do a bit of deep cleaning, or relaxing, or whatever.  Supper is taken care of.

No comments: