Friday, October 26, 2012

Reader to Runner

My sports history is brief: I played soccer when I was 6 years old, and I was track manager my freshman year of high school.

That is it.

And yet, I'm planning on running a 5K next spring.

You did not read that wrong.

Isn't that crazy though?  To go from never running ever (unless I have to catch Curly Boy in a parking lot) to doing a 5K? It is insane.  And yet, I'm doing it.  I have some weird internal motivation going on and Mr. Curly and Mrs. Kleeman egging me on.

I'm using the ever popular C25K app on my iPhone for training.  I've made it through the first week where you alternate running 60 seconds with walking 90 seconds.  The first day was awful, the second was really good, and today..... Well, today the running was ok (I wasn't as fast as I would've like to have been) but everything else conspired against me - the earbuds wouldn't stay in, the headband wouldn't keep my hair back, my gloves (fingerless with a little mitten flap) wouldn't stay in place....  But I made it.

My one concern is that the app is crazy.  There is no way someone who has not been exercising at all can start out with this jog/walk cycle for 30 minutes right off that bat.  In 2 weeks they expect me to jogging for 5 minutes at a time!  No, 5 minutes isn't too long - but to me, who's breathing is labored after running 90 seconds, 5 minutes is insane.  I'm glad that I've been walking a paper route since January, and walking with the same Mrs. Kleeman 3 times a week for a few weeks before beginning this training, or I'd be in trouble.

Anyway.

I'm running a 5K.  In May 2013.  Wish me luck.

No comments: