Wednesday, April 25, 2012

You get what you need.... (want what you have)

I read in James 1:6-8 last week " But when you ask, you must believe and not doubt, because the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. That person should not expect to receive anything from the Lord. Such a person is double-minded and unstable in all they do. "

How many times do I ask God to provide, and then run off looking for ways to get what we need by myself, without God's help? It is a lack of contentment to be fed, clothed and sheltered that causes me to doubt and worry.

This is why Contentment is such a big part of our new philosophy here in the Curly household.  It is something I need to reach for each and every day - that feeling of contentment.  I also want my children to learn contentment.  Not just to make shopping trips easier (content children are less likely to reach and grab and beg, though they are children, so it is to be expected), but also so that they are happier in life and more aware of the blessings around them.

As 1 Timothy 6:6-8 says "But godliness with contentment is great gain.  For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it.  But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that."

It is much easier said than done.  And so I pray daily for God to help me see the blessings He has bestowed upon us, and perhaps, find a way to pass those blessings on to others.  And to help me keep that 10th commandment “You shall not covet your neighbor’s house. You shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, or his male or female servant, his ox or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbor.” (Deuteronomy 20:17)

No comments: