Wednesday, February 8, 2012

This is going to be harder than I thought....

I'm not a huge New Years resolution fan.  I mean, I know I set the whole "live more spontaneously" goal for this year (see further explanation here), but unlike my sister-in-law whose list of goals and the ways she is going to get there is truly awe-inspiring, I don't really have a lot.

I have decided though, considering my troubles with paying attention during church (kids, you know), and the lack of a women's Bible study group, that I should probably take my spiritual life into my own hands and start some me and God time.  Seriously start it, not just let it sporadically happen (which, is rather ironic considering my goal this year....).

Anyway, so I got together a little me and God time kit - note-taking Bible, journal (provided by same sister-in-law of the amazing goals), a Billy Graham devotional to kick start me when I'm lost, and then, for good measure, I added Joel Osteen's "Your Best Life Now Journal" to the mix.
The plan - once all children are in bed for naps, read a BG Devo, read a YBLN entry - follow the scriptures listed in those two places to the Bible and read some context.  Pray, listen, journal.

It is working, kind of.  I get thrown off easily.  A bad day, a busy day, a rare day when Mr. Curly is actually home during the kids's naps and I want to spend time with him....  Or, like yesterday, the kids went down for a nap, I had a list of things to accomplish and the motivation to accomplish them, and then, at 11:00 when I made it to bed, I realized I hadn't spent time with my Bible, my books, my God.

Its a habit worth cultivating, just like chewing my nails is a habit worth breaking.  I haven't been very successful with either one throughout my life.

But I'll keep trying.  It is just going to be harder than I thought.

No comments: