Monday, May 2, 2011

Sleepless in Seattle

So, we're more like "not sleeping well in Iowa", but you know, catchy titles....


Anyway, life has been rather interesting around here with 5 people all adjusting to new sleep schedules.


Curly Baby, who I think we might start calling Spikey Baby because of this:
His hair does this no matter how much we comb it - how stinkin' cute is that?








Anyway, he had been sleeping fantastically. If he ate between 8:00-9:30, he would sleep until 2:30 a.m. Generally he was awake for about an hour then, but then he would go back to sleep until 9:00 a.m.

And then I told my brother about it and we had the worst 2 nights. First, he didn't go to sleep until midnight, and then was up at 3:00 for an hour and 6:00 for an hour. The next night, he ate at 9:00, 11:30, and 3:00. At 3:00 he was awake until almost 5:00 a.m., fussy the whole time. No amount of nursing, rocking, swaddling or pacifiers helped, he was just plain fussy. And gassy, the poor kid was having major stomach issues.


Curly Boy has learned he can climb out of bed during nap time and we won't know it, but that hasn't really caused problems. In fact, the other morning, I found him in his room, like this:


This is my little man, sound asleep. He put himself down for a nap around 10:00 on Friday morning.







Curly Girl, on the other hand, has decided sleep is entirely overrated. She will put her jammies on for naps, but then comes out of her room every 5 minutes with some new excuse, something new she needs. If she stays dressed during nap time, she'll sleep for 2 + hours. I don't know what to do with her. Saturday she went to bed at 6:45 because she refused to nap and just broke down into tears over dinner because she was too tired to handle anything.


And Mr. Curly and I? Well, I don't mind waking up once or twice a night with a baby who is just now 2 weeks old. I'm doing my best not to wake up Mr. Curly, because he stays up much later than I do anyway, and doesn't nap well. :)


All in all, I'm trying to remember that right now when Curly (or Spikey) Baby fusses and keeps me awake, at least he's still in my room. Starting next Monday, he'll be in Curly Boy's room and then I'm sure the fun will really start.

No comments: