Wednesday, May 11, 2011

The first night....

Starting with Curly Girl, Mr. Curly has always felt that babies should be in their own rooms by two weeks old.

I know a thousand people who disagree with this. I know that when Mr. Curly started putting Curly Girl in her crib instead of the bassinet, I had some issues. Her room was a total of 3 feet from ours, but I turned the monitor up so loud you could hear every breath, every movement.

Curly Boy was farther away when he moved to his crib, but we lived in a home with transom windows that were always open, and yet, there was the monitor, up full blast.

This time it is different. This time, Curly Baby is moving into his big brother's room, not a room all by himself.

We put it off for an extra week, but now, even I know it is time for him to move. While my ears stay open for each little baby noise that isn't quite right, I sleep so much better without a baby in my room. I need a space to myself, and with the loss of my laundry/sewing room, my bedroom is about the last place I have! As anyone with kids knows, bathrooms do not necessarily mean privacy.

So, Tuesday night, Curly Boy and Baby shared a room. Curly Baby, of course, had issues falling asleep, but Curly Boy had no problems with us bringing him in later. And Curly Boy slept through each feeding and fussing. Though, as his usual habit, Curly Baby fussed from 4:30 a.m. to 6:00 a.m. and then slept until 9:30. Punk. And, as is my usual habit, I dozed in a recliner with him from 5:00 a.m. to 6:00 a.m. (after feeding him in the rocking chair in the nursery), so as not to wake the rest of the house. Pushover.

1 comment:

Katie Olthoff said...

Congrats on the baby!

You are brave! I can't imagine moving the baby at 2 or 3 weeks, but mostly because I don't want to get out of bed!

My almost 3 year old is in the room next to us, and has been really tired and grumpy since we brought Isaac home. He wasn't waking up and needing us, but he was rolling all over the bed. We put a white noise machine in his room so he couldn't hear the baby wake up, and he's been sleeping more "still" and not been as grumpy, so I think the baby was waking him a bit. Anyway - just saying, watch out for that! If you notice a change in curly boy's behavior, it might be that he is getting his sleep disturbed!