Wednesday, March 23, 2011

I'm in the Word....

Mark Lowry used to have this great bit about a friend who was a morning person. This friend would wake up early to pray and do devotions and then call Mark to make sure he was up. Mark is not a morning person, so he named his bed "The Word" and whenever his friend called he would say "I can't talk now, I'm in the Word."

This always made me laugh and I completely understood. I'm not an early morning person. I'm not really a late night person either though. I think 7:30 is a perfect time to wake up, there is little reason to be up much earlier. And I'm happy with a 10:30 or 11:00 bedtime. Boring, I know.

Recently, however, I've had to laugh as I've considered naming my bed "the Word." It seems I spend a lot of time at night awake, reminding myself not to lie flat on my back at all, or on my right side for too long.

The other night, I spent a good hour laying in bed praying. I figured if I'm awake and it is quiet, I should use the time wisely. Mr. Curly thinks it was a great idea, but sometimes I don't know. Sometimes I feel as if my prayers are just repetitive questions and begging, things I ask my children not to do (not the questions, but the begging). Sometimes I try to have quiet time during prayer and find myself waking up. I suppose this is ok, it is night, I should sleep, as everyone else is, but am I hearing anything from God?

I have a challenge to myself to wake up 15 minutes earlier each day to have at least a little time to pray, to maybe read some scripture, before Curly Girl is up. So far it seems each morning I wake up 15 minutes earlier, she's already awake.

It's part of the routine I'm working on. Daily prayer and scripture reading - my challenge to us all.

No comments: