Thursday, March 24, 2011

Video killed the radio star.

We have DVR for the first time ever. I'm not sure if this is sad, or really good. We also have Dish Network again for the first time in three years, and this IS exciting.

It also means, living where we do, we have two PBS channels. Mr. Curly and I are big fans of PBS. Curly Girl picks up crazy amounts of things just by watching TV. Just by HEARING TV. You know how I know? Because in church last Sunday, when Mr. Curly said "We celebrate Jesus's death and resurrection," Curly Girl, sitting next to me and coloring quietly said "And we get candy."
Yeah, she knows what Easter is about. Even when it doesn't appear she's paying attention to a word her Daddy is saying.

ANYway, point is - we now have the opportunity to watch a LOT of TV. Being almost 37 weeks pregnant and trying desperately to unpack every box in our house, it's really tempting just to turn on the TV and let the kids at it. And DVR it for the evenings too, just in case, you know?

So this past week I've challenged myself to NOT let the kids watch TV all morning (when I have the most energy to work).
Monday morning we played WordWorld games. Good letter recognition skills for both kids, as Curly Boy LOVES repeating the sounds. Plus, they get a color page at the end!
Tuesday morning we painted recycled items that are on their way to being bird feeders and built towers to knock over.
Wednesday we took a "field trip" down to the local farm store to see the baby ducks and chicks. When we got home, we made cornstarch/baking soda goop, and played with bubbles.

Today, well, I'm not sure what they're going to do. I have a doctor's appointment, then a hair cut, and Mr. Curly is going to watch them. He's really good about turning the TV off too, so I'm not really worried. Plus, when I get home from my appointments, we have a play date!

My first real playdate!! Hopefully my kids will behave.

No comments: