Friday, September 17, 2010

In your golden fleece diapers....

I've tossed around the idea of cloth diapers for awhile now. With Mr. Curly being the main caregiver the past few years (a privledge he earned by having a home office), it hasn't been too seriously considered. Especially when we were potty training Curly Girl, it went out the window.

But the thought is back. With baby #3 on the way, and my sojourn into stay-at-home-mamahood about to begin, I've been searching out patterns and fabric and ideas.

The easiest cloth diaper (and by far the cheapest) was found here. I read this post on Wednesday last week, and on Saturday morning, armed with an old t-shirt, old hand towel and scrap fleece, set about making my own diaper for Curly Boy.

Now remember, I read this tutorial ONCE on Wednesday morning. A full three days later, without refreshing my memory, I made this diaper. It's not perfect, but it fits. As for soakability, Curly Boy has yet to test it. The times I put it on him, he stayed perfectly dry until nap and/or bed times, when we put him into a disposable diaper (just in case). Maybe this means he'll be easy to potty train? I don't know, we've got to convince him that walking upright, while slower than crawling, really is the way to go all the time!

Laying the outer piece on the fleece as a pattern (really did a sloppy job cutting this out, will probably make a cardboard pattern if we decide to go this route)


The inside once it was sewn to the outside (learned I put the elastic on the wrong side AFTER it was all sewn together, but it still works)


The diaper completed, not yet on. Some loose threads still to cut and those definitely are NOT the pins I will be using to hold it on the child!



The diaper on Curly Boy! That's a hanger he was playing with while I changed him laying against his leg.
Post title from Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby

No comments: