Monday, January 28, 2013

My Own Personal Trainer

So I have a new personal trainer.

Me.

Yep, you read that right.  I have become my own personal trainer.

After 10 weeks doing an 8 week couch to 5K program, (and still not completing it per their goals), I've decided to do it myself.

See, around week 7, C25K expects you to run for 25 minutes, or 2.5 miles.  Non-stop.  I'm sorry, but going from a complete non-runner to running 25 minutes straight in 7 weeks (in my case 10)?  I just can't do it.  No matter how hard I try.  I end up with crossed eyes and nearly falling off the treadmill from lack of air trying.

So I have a new goal now.  3 times a week, I run 3 miles.  It doesn't matter if I stop to walk, or how long it takes me, I go for 3 miles.

Last Monday I did it in 40 minutes.  Wednesday I did it in 36 minutes and 10 seconds.  Friday, I didn't run.  It seems by the time Friday afternoon comes along, I'm just tired and busy trying to get ready for the weekend and our family day.

So consistency isn't there.  And I am stopping to walk.  And I'm not flat out running until the last quarter mile.  But I am completing 3 miles, at one time, without feeling dissapointed at the end because I couldn't go as far or as long as an app on my phone told me I should be going.

And I feel so much better about myself!

So watch out 5K - here I come!

No comments: