Monday, December 17, 2012

Is Reindeer Game Participation Required?

I may be the only person on earth that doesn't like the story of Rudolph (except for this guy here, and before you click there, it is not a site for children, it is a site for sarcastic, caustic people, and therefore has some language.  It can also be hilariously funny and a huge time-waster, but you have to be careful what you click).

And I feel REALLY REALLY bad about this.  I mean, come on, it is Rudolph!  A holiday tradition!  Born in the USA, created by Macy's for a window display, it has become one of the most beloved holiday movies (I'm assuming, it feels that way, I didn't really research how beloved it is).

But it bothers me!  Poor little Rudolph, born with a different nose, is ridiculed by his friends, his FATHER, and, the one who is supposed to love all - SANTA CLAUS.  Poor little Hermie, who has a passion, a calling for teeth, is forced to work longer hours than his friends, is harangued by his boss, simply because he cares about the teeth and mouths of his elf co-workers who eat nothing by candy, candy canes, candy corn, and maple syrup.

It is so sad!

And in the end, the only reason Rudolph is accepted, is because the storm is so bad, only  his nose can lead the way.  If Santa had thought to put headlights on the sleigh, Rudolph still wouldn't be needed, would still be a social outcast.

It just bothers me.

But Curly Girl and Boy love it, so we watch it, regularly.  I really need to get them a copy of "Santa Claus is Coming to Town"- made in the same time era as Rudolph, it has a much nicer marriage message (edited after posting, this should say message - geez, you'd think I'd typed it with autocorrect or something).

Thank you for letting me get that out.

You're a mean one, Mr. Grinch! (But remember, even HE was transformed by the love of Christmas!)

No comments: