Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Finding God in the Mundane

There are nights when the dishes are the last thing I want to do.  And there are nights when doing the dishes restores my sanity from a long, unpredictable, tiring day.

Last night the dishes were not only a comforting, familiar thing, but it also gave me time to find God again for the day.  Even though I had listened to 5 chapters of Acts on my paper route, I just was wrapped up in my own head, my own struggles, my own frustrations.  And running hot water and bubbles and cleaning the dishes let my mind relax in something familiar, something rote. 

And I heard this song.


(I chose this video because it had the lyrics as well, you can see the official music video here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzGAYNKDyIU&feature=related)

Thank God He redeems us from whatever our past holds - and that once that redemption comes He continues to work His love through us.

I don't want to be the same as I was, I don't want to stay the same that I am.  I want to grow in grace and mercy, to learn to show more love, more patience, and to be a quieter person (hopefully before my children hit their truly loud, dramatic age).

Thank God for the dishes, for the mundane that allowed my mind the freedom to wander, and to hear his message and love through this song.  I hope it speaks to you as well.

No comments: