Monday, August 13, 2012

Another facebook post.

I never knew facebook was an addiction until I quit it.
I never realized how many times a day I wanted to sit down and share something cute happening in my household.  Or lame, or annoying, or awesome.
I never realized how much I used facebook to stay connected to my friends and the outside world as I lived through my existence as a SAHM.

But I also didn't have anybody to compare myself too.  I wasn't annoyed at political statements, or concerned by vague "bad day" statements.

And I didn't have any statements to rejoice with.

In the week of my break, I learned the following:

Facebook is amoral - it is neither good, nor bad.  Really, it is what you make it.
Facebook is awesome when getting all stay-at-home moms together, rather than making a ton of phone calls and texts.
Facebook is a huge timewaster (I actually already knew this).  No, I didn't blog anymore (though I had the time), but I didn't set at my computer as much.  Which meant my kids set at the computer more.  Hmm, not sure if that was a good thing or not.
Facebook is a great way to connect people who never see each other, but having a million acquaintances is a sure way to clutter up a news feed with things you don't care about.  I'm not saying I'm cleaning out my friend list - there are still people who I only contact through facebook, and I like having that connection.  I am saying I'm going to be more picky about what I let on my news feed, because....
Facebook is amoral - it is neither good, nor bad.  Really, it is what you make it.

No comments: