Thursday, November 17, 2011

How the Grinch Made Shirts.....

You remember the scene from How the Grinch Stole Christmas when he made his Santa Claus suit?

Do you remember being a little kid and thinking "Wow, is that all you do?  Just cut out a shirt shape and sew it together?"

And then of course, some of you grew up and  tried to sew shirts and realized there is a lot more to it than that.
I never grew up.

See this?

This is a fleece shirt made for Curly Baby in true Grinch style.  I outlined an existing shirt, added a few inches all the way around, and sewed it up.  Straight up from the wrist to the neckline, and curved from the wrist down to the bottom.  No sleeves, no neck (its kind of a boat neck style shirt), no hemming (its fleece, it doesn't need hemming).

Now, here's my disclaimer: This is not for outdoor wear.  Since Curly Baby has started in on the wool covers, he's been wearing wool pants to bed, and he really needed a pj shirt to go with it.  This is my first shot at that.  Mr. Curly donated a fleece vest to the goodwill pile and I saved it for sewing projects.  I also have two heavy weight, but faded (and with a small hole in one) black tshirts to make night shirts for the littlest Curly as well.  I'm not sure if they'll be Grinchy style, but I do know I'll make them as easily as possible!

No comments: