Friday, November 18, 2011

The grocery store's the supermart, uh huh

While ago I challenged myself to one new recipe a week.  I think I made it a whole two weeks before giving up on it.

But I made up for with a vengance this week I tell ya!

New recipes tried this week:
Paula Deen's Chicken and Dumplings
Betty Crocker's Pumpkin Cookies
Betty Crocker's Spritz cookies (had to try out the cooky press I found!)
Alton Brown's Popovers
Twice Baked Potatoes (a conglomeration of recipes I read for them, made up with the ingredients at hand)

I also learned how to make candy corn, so as soon as I get a candy thermometer, I'm totally making that.  Isn't it great?  I just learned to feed my fresh candy corn addiction year round!  This is will be just great for my weight, I'm sure!

I was impressed with all the recipes, except the chicken and dumplings.  I couldn't get the soup/gravy to thicken, but maybe I just wasn't using enough corn starch for the amount of soup there was.  And honestly, it seemed really similar to my homemade chicken and noodle soup.  And I love that soup, but I was hoping for something thick with big hunks of biscuits.  Tasted good, just not what I expected.

The popovers are definitely going on the rotation to be filled with both sweet and savory items.

And the Spritz cookies will probably be made year-round.

Post title from Sonny & Cher's The Beat Goes On

No comments: