Tuesday, September 6, 2011

How cloth diapering made me a WORSE mom

Yeah, worse. Most people rave about how CDing (Cloth Diapering) made them SUCH better people - better for the environment, their kids, their checkbooks, blah blah blah.

Well I am definitely NOT feeling that way this week.

First comes laundry. I frizted out my machine while "stripping" my diapers (washing them with dawn to get rid of soap and ammonia buildup), and instead of running its regular cycle, it tried to fill up with water, while dumping water at the same time. I didn't realize it until the washer had been running for 30 minutes. Do you know how much water that is? Hello water bill!

Second comes kids. BOTH my boys now are having diaper issues. One is due to rubbing or something and might have to be taken to the doctor. The other has a rash combined with dry skin. So we put on coconut oil to deal with the dry skin, and hope that will take the rash away too, since you can't put on diaper cream when you're all slicked up!

Third comes the checkbook. Really, overall, we were saving money with cloth diapers. Only then I decided to open an ebay and paypal account, had some kinks in figuring both out I ended up moving twice as much money out of our bank account than I needed to. Then I decided to (didn't have to but wanted to) try a new type of diaper. Then with the rashes I had to buy some new stay-dry products, and coconut oil (not cheap) and disposables again to help the Curly Baby heal. And I possibly will have a doctor's bill this week.

Don't get me wrong - I think it is important to be good stewards of our resources - both the earth and our money. And using CDs moves us towards being good stewards. But right now? Honestly I'm not sure that it is worth it. Maybe when my boys are healed and I stop trying to strip the diapers I'll start, well, not ENJOYING CDs again, but at least feeling better about it.

No comments: