Tuesday, June 14, 2011

You gotta know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em....

I enjoy cooking complete meals as from-scratch as possible for my family. That hasn't happened much since Curly Baby was born, but he'll only be two months old this Thursday, so that is to be expected.

Yesterday, however, despite Curly Baby's fussiness (cutting out pop as worked some, but we'll definitely be talking to the doctor about his tummy next week), I took advantage of his FINALLY napping to do something special for dinner.

Our meal included orange jello (which I rarely make because I don't generally think of it in time to have it set), chicken bowtie pasta with homemade spaghetti sauce, and homemade Italian bread. Yeah, so the bread was baked in the bread machine, but instead of using a box bread machine mix, I used a recipe from my cookbook. I even made cake-like dark chocolate brownies with coconut pecan frosting for dessert (that was all boxed and canned)!

The only thing I would've changed was the jello. Orange jello really needs grated carrots in it (years of training at public schools taught me that), but I somehow didn't think the Curly Kids, or Mr. Curly, would appreciate that as much as I did.

All in all, when Saturday night comes, no matter what else we eat the rest of this week, I can at least say I did one really good meal. Because when it comes to juggling babies and cooking, just like in poker, you've gotta know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em, know when to walk away, and know when to run.... (You'll be singing it all day now!)

No comments: