Monday, November 22, 2010

Baby Update, as promised

The appointment went well. I had Mr. Curly and both Curly kids with me. Since Curly Girl had always cried at all of Curly Boy's pre-natal appointments, we were a little nervous, but all went well.

I am 19 weeks and 2 days along according to the doctor. The baby is at my belly button and I've gained 8 pounds. Which seems like a lot to me, but the doctor said 25-35 is a healthy weight to gain. I gained 20 with Curly Girl and 30 with Curly Boy, but had a harder time getting it off (never really lost the last 10 lbs) so I'm very aware of weight gain this time around.

We skipped the quad screening, due to insurance and money, but also because we have no history of those issues on either side of the family and have two completely healthy children. It doesn't mean something won't happen, but it doesn't change how we feel about the baby. And even though we're in a small hospital (both here and in Iowa), life flights can get us to a bigger hospital in 20 minutes or less.

The baby's heart rate was in the 140s.

I know many people who don't go by heart rates to guess gender, but Mr. Curly always has, and so far, with all our friends and family, has never been wrong. I think my sister-in-law is trying her hardest to prove us wrong, but we don't know her baby's gender yet! So we'll see how that turns out!

Anyway, based on that heart rate - Mr. Curly says girl.

I say girl based on the following, I had all of these issues with Curly Girl, but none of these with Curly Boy: facial breakouts, fruit cravings, heartburn/stomach pain with certain foods (I always had heartburn with Curly Boy, he had hair!), short-temper, inability to cope with other people's problems, and a few other personal things I don't feel like posting to the world.

We'll have a sonogram next week and announce it then! Until that time - what's your guess?

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Not trying my hardest to prove you wrong, just sharing what I've heard/our experience so that you don't have your hopes up one way or another...as my doctor says, it's a 50/50 shot at being right. I don't know how many people were like "oh, i knew it was a girl" when I was pregnant with Lucy...but I never had high heartbeats with Lucy until much later in the pregnancy. :)And, 140 is so borderline in determining gender...you could really swing either way. :) Plus, ours has been in the 140s and James has been saying boy...so maybe he's hoping to be right on one of his guesses? :)

I'm glad your doctor told you 25-35 was a healthy weight gain...as my doctor has always said. I read a breakdown once on where all that weight went--baby, placenta, fluid, etc...and it made a lot more sense to me. I've just started my weight gain since returning from Florida--and my belly has jumped right out there too. I was up 5 pounds at my visit at the beginning of the month, and I'm sure it'll grow from there. :)

Anonymous said...

Glad your checkup went well. We are anxious to welcome that new little one into our family.

Mom