Monday, January 24, 2011

What a beautiful home....

So, since we've been spending our weekends in Iowa for 3.5 months now, Mr. Curly and I decided it is time to start thinking about decorating. After all, we REALLY want to be living there full time, and thinking about decorating is easier than thinking about packing and unpacking.

The thing is, we're not really decorators. I mean, I love the themes and pictures in Better Homes & Gardens, but they're not realistic enough to me. I have a 3 year old, a 1.5 year old, a dog, a cat and a baby on the way. Homes need to be sturdy, livable and above all, washable.

That being said, I still don't want it to look like a daycare.

I chose the color "Alchemy" from the Sherwin Williams paint line for the walls in our living room. I think it will look marvelous with the woodwork, and since we have gray-blue carpet, any sort of gray toned paint (which Mr. Curly and I both enjoy) is out. And we don't feel this house has the character to pull off the burgundy rooms of our SD home.

Our current artwork is family photos and nature pictures we took ourselves. We have shots of butterflies (thousands) sleeping on a tree in our yard in SD,
sail boats on Lake Michigan,
the sun coming through our maple trees from our KS home....
Just pretty shots we happened to take and love.

Our artwork will stay the same, most likely. We used to have Route 66 things in our living room and decided that was too college-y, un-adult. We actually donated a lot of it to Curly Boy's nursery and he loves it. But now I think I'm changing my mind. Now I think we can still do the car things, and the movie things, you just have to know how to display them.



With that in mind, this is what I picture for my office corner in our new living room.....




The Star Wars picture? It's a shirt that Curly Boy bought Mr. Curly for Christmas. That I promptly shrunk after he wore it once. But now, now it is a beautiful piece of art.
And the brown box is representative of a shadow box set up to look like a 1930s movie studio. I just didn't have a picture of it.

What do you think? Do you think you can create an elegant, adult room that is still fun, livable, washable and reflects who you are?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like it. An answer to your last question. Yes....you can do it.

Mom