Monday, September 6, 2010

Mama's Lullabies

Do you remember Fractured Fairy Tales on the Rocky & Bullwinkle cartoons? No? I was going to post my favorite one here, but I can't choose! Instead, click here for a whole list of Fractured Fairy Tales on YouTube. They're fantastic.


I love new twists on classic stories, and like to re-work old tales for my kids as we shop and play together. Classics are nice, and I will be the first to save them from extinction, but I like the idea of passing on a "just for me" story or song.


Songs especially. When Curly Girl was born, Mr. Curly would sing to her each night. He has a whole little playlist in his mind of choruses and hymns he learned as a child that seemed to soothe her in a way I couldn't.

My favorite song to sing to her was Franki Valli and the Four Seasons "Who Loves You". I never did remember all of the words, but it was a nice repetitive chorus for her.


Curly Boy's favorite soothing technique was being rocked as if in a swing while I sang "Daydream" by the Lovin' Spoonful. That song I DO know all the words to and it still makes him smile.


I still remember to this day the song my mother made up for me and my teddy bear Ceddy (pronounced with a "k" sound). And there are numerous songs my dad would play on the guitar that we now request when we are home visiting. Curly Girl loves to hear Granddad play the guitar. Her first dirty look was to Mr. Curly when he made a joke about Granddad's playing.


What about you? Do you have any silly stories or special songs that you remember from your childhood? Any that you are now passing on?

No comments: